September 17, 2012

Travel Prep

Only 63 days till we make the journey over the many waters!  A bit nervous to be doing this trip on my own with the munchkin, but even if it's a terrible flight, it will only last for so long and then Grandma can play with the baby while I sleep.  (Sound good, Grandma?)  In an effort to make it a little easier on me and maybe a little more fun for the munchkin, I am making her some of her very own travel accessories.
First up: The Diaper Clutch.

It is always such a hassle to dig through the bag and find the diaper, the wipes, the poop bag (if needed) so I made this clutch to save sanity and to look oh so chic while on the way to the change room.  Because that is oh so important while carrying a squirming toddler who needs a change... :)

Next we have: The Backpack.

This one came about from a few reasons.  The hubby didn't really like carrying around my feminine bag with all the baby stuff.  I didn't want to go the way of the diaper bag AND purse, so everything always ended up in my purse; which ends up being the diaper bag and getting all the wear and tear of a diaper bag.  (However, now what am I going to put in my purse?!)  I also wanted the munchkin to be able to carry something of her own while traveling.  Even if it's just her blanket and a toy, those are two things I don't have to try to pack into my carry on and dig out over and over again.  I am also not a fan of themed items.  I don't want to give in to my daughter wearing Dora or Winnie the Pooh or any other character just yet.  I'm sure it will come, but I'll enjoy not having to deal with that yet.
Enough said about that, here's the backpack.


Can you believe that I had to order all the parts (zipper, triglide, and webbing) from Canada because you can't find white ones here?  I'm sure they exist here, but most stores don't have websites, or decent websites, so unless you want to drive around in hopes of finding some random store, good luck!  But that's an entirely different soap box. :)

I definitely have to give credit where credit is due though.  I have attempted to make other bags and cases and haven't figured out how to do so well with all the seams hidden until I found this tutorial.  I did do a few things differently, like the straps and shape/size, but the basic tutorial I followed step by step.  I will also be using the basic instructions for the last travel accessory that I haven't gotten to yet.  The Travel Art Desk.

And because the object of my labors is so darn cute:

I apologize for the camera phone pictures.  We moved and now I can't find the real one!

3 comments:

  1. Those look awesome!! Way to go! I hope the little munchkin is oh so wonderful and sweet on the airplane. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Woah! That's so weird to see Charli in toddler form. I haven't seen a picture of her in forever. She's darling, of course. Good luck with your airplane ride!

    ReplyDelete