June 25, 2010

BUTTONS!!!!

I decided on a theme for the "nursery" part of our bedroom!  And if you didn't guess, it's buttons. :)  Yup, no Winnie the Pooh, no Mickey or Minnie Mouse; in fact, NO trademarked characters if I can help it.  If my child at some point begins to have an affinity towards a specific character, okay, but I'm not going to start them out with a ...pre-conceived?... obsession toward a certain one.  I have also always wanted a sophisticated/chic look, so I am going with buttons.  They are colorful, cute, simple, streamline, and I personally think lots of fun.  You can buy a bag of buttons at the craft stores here, and I found a collection that has classy colors without being dull or neon bright. :)

Dumped out of the bag

Organized by color

I have fallen in love with these colors!  No baby pastels or bright primary colors, but a fun mix.  Raspberry-a little more pink than the picture looks, Sage, Peach, Yellow, and Grey Blue.  It's called the Shabby Chic collection.  Now, I'm not a fan of lots of....stuff.  Especially when I know that the baby will have plenty of it anyway.  Shabby Chic tends to use a fair bit of stuff to create the right look, so although I love the colors, I think I'll go my own way with it.

Here are a couple sites I've found that show some ideas of what I'd like to do with them...
Picture - I'd probably do a couple flowers or something instead of a wreath...

Let me try to illustrate the nursery for you so you have an idea of what I get to work with.....


As you can see, I have about a 3'x8' gap next to my side of the bed in which to have the "nursery."  Therefore, very limited room in which to decorate.  I would like to hang the letters of her name above the bassinette, but any creative ideas are welcome.  Especially any simple/cute button usage ideas.  Ready.... GO!


4 comments:

  1. Dad says to look online in IKEA....

    ReplyDelete
  2. well, I love buttons, they are so fun. Here is a fun way to do a name and you can add buttons

    http://sistersstuff.blogspot.com/2009/06/girly-name-decoration.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, Jess! Are you kidding??? This is SUCH a cute idea! In fact, I may have to copy you when we have kids. Oh my gosh. I seriously can't get over this! I LOVE it!! I'll be sure to do some research so that when I see you I can possibly help :) Oh man, just AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a cute idea! I love buttons. One of my very favorite craft sites has a way cute button pillow: http://www.makeit-loveit.com/2010/06/decorate-my-home-part-20-buttonpiping.html

    Pillows aren't really newborn-friendly, though. Still might be cute for decoration though!

    ReplyDelete