July 4, 2009

Once Upon an Independence Day

Fireworks, bbq's, and late night movies or games surrounded by friends and family. What can make a better 4th of July party? It's not just about the fun and games though. As I no longer reside in the good ol' USA, I realize much more my desire for independence. For those of you who know me, I am not one who likes to have my freedoms restricted in any way. Being here in Australia, some little things have come up that make me miss having all my rights, or being told I have to follow certain rules, even if I already do. I just don't like being told that I have to do them.
  • Helmets are required whenever on any form of a bike.
  • Any student loans are automatically deducted from your paycheck as the government pays for your schooling... sorta...
  • You're not allowed to turn left (same as our right) at a red light.
  • You can't wash your car or own a hose actually.
  • There are speed cameras that can mail you a ticket without pulling you over.
Here are also some things I just miss about the US that are different here:
  • You have to pay up front at a doctors and then go get everything reimbursed at a Medicare or insurance facility instead of having the insurance billed up front and paying a co-payment.
  • Every store layout is different. Even from one Woolworths to another Woolworths.
  • There aren't stores that carry everything, so you actually have to go to multiple shops.
  • They have bottle openers and stoppers everywhere, but no pastry blenders, magnets, or nice rolling pins, etc.
Things I do like better here:
  • Cars stop for you at crosswalks!
  • Tax is included in the retail price so you know what you're paying (Mom, you'd have to reevaluate your final ticket price guesses, but may give the rest of us a chance).
  • Everyone has a laid-back attitude.
All in all, it's great being 'down unda', but I hope all of you in the US recognize your rights and freedoms and honor them, because without them, life just isn't what it's intended to be.

2 comments:

  1. You need to find a Doctor that 'bulk bills' then you don't need to pay at all.

    And the hose thing is miserable! I miss the days of running under sprinklers as a kid, and think it will be sad if my kids miss out on that. So you just have to keep praying for rain, so that they water restrictions are wound back.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't even tell you how many times I'd get busted with those dumb camera's...ha! :) We miss you! :)

    ReplyDelete