July 6, 2009

A Burning Desire

Yesterday started out as a normal Sunday. I woke up, cuddled with my hubby for a little while, made breakfast (we'll make up for it next week.. :S ), showered, and then it all began.
I don't have a curling iron yet, but the other day I had curled my hair with my straightener and decided to give that a try yet again. Everything was going great until about halfway through. I have no mirror behind me, so I have to 'see' with my hands. Unfortunately, I 'saw' my straightener a little too closely with my left thumb. I now have a line a little longer than an inch and about a quarter of an inch wide down the middle of my thumb. After cooling it down a bit, I had to finish as we were now running late, so I hurried through the rest of my hair and we went to church.
Upon returning home with a hungry husband, I decided to make some good ol' chicken noodle soup with a kick. This was a first, but I figured it'd be pretty simple. Adding some rosemary to the chicken as it was cooking turned out great, but I also wanted it a little spicier, so out came some chili flakes again. Definitely did its job and gave the soup a kick. However, in the process of trying to dump the chicken and veggies (all cut with my Happy Chopper!!) back in with the noodles, I smacked my right pinky on the side of the pan. DOH! Took a few deep breaths, cooled it off, and dished up dinner.
The savory smells and the excitement of eating this enticing experiment with some leftover naan prevailed over some basic common sense. Soup just taken out of a simmering pot is still hot! Go figure. Alas, my tongue joined the damaged ranks of the day. *It did taste really good by the way*
Lesson learned: If at once you burn yourself, don't don't DON'T touch anything hot the rest of the day. :)

2 comments:

  1. Oh Yowee!! Sorry to hear it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ouch! I hate burns. There's this gel stuff called "burn free" that cools the burn if it's still hurting (not your tongue though, you're outta luck there!)

    ReplyDelete