May 18, 2010

Food, Glorious Food

With the wonderful condition of being sick almost endlessly, *seems that way anyway* Blake and I don't get to go out much.  By the end of the day, the last thing I want to do is move from my comfortable spot on the couch and go navigate my way through jostling people.  However, for Mother's Day this year I managed to convince Hubs that as I have a growing baby inside me, I deserve to get some special treatment.  And, lucky for me, the day before Mother's Day I actually felt mostly decent and could go out.
Now, in the raging free spirited artistic loving realm that is Utah...*quilting, etc. not included* .. there aren't many novelty food hot spots.  Yes, I love my Leatherby's and Iceburg and the likes, but it's just not Quite the same as Max Brenner.  Now if you're lucky enough to frequent Philadelphia or Broadway in New York, then perhaps you have seen a Max Brenner!  Have you ever stopped at one?  I have passed the one here quite a few times and never really felt the desire to go.  You see, the novelty that is Max Brenner is chocolate.  I might offend a few of the female kind by saying that I would prefer some fresh fruit to chocolate, but the last thing I have on my mind is eating anything of the processed sweets category.  However, it is a very 'hip/cool/in' place to go, so we decided that would be my Mother's Day treat.

Mine

Blake's

   Um.... yeah it was good!  I probably couldn't have downed my belgian waffle without all that fresh fruit, but it was SO good.  Blake's was a chocolate souffle that was so rich he had to keep stealing my fruit to help it go down.  Now that I've gone, would I go back again?  Unless baby starts craving some serious chocolate, I'll stick to one of the dishes that has something other than chocolate as it's base and add some fruit for good measure, but yes.

On another food note, I have gotten a little sick of the pop and pour dinners that are pretty common around here, *Hubs has been doing the cooking and it's one of the quickest meals to prepare so he can get some school work and contract work done* so I challenged him to make me something from a recipe instead.  I personally think he enjoyed creating something like he did.  Maybe I'll get recipe meals more often?

Dinner last night

Up close

It was prosciutto wrapped lamb with mozzarella, sweet potatoes, and garlic bread.  First time I have really had a meal with lamb or prosciutto and it was pretty good.  I'm not sure he's making me want to get back into the cooking shoes if he can pull out some dishes like this one. :)   I think we'll have to start taking turns once I can stand the smell of cooking again.

*Sorry for the camera phone pictures.  We wanted to eat and didn't want to try and find the real camera.*

4 comments:

  1. I think I would love that place...but I'm pretty much addicted to chocolate. Blake's meal looks really good. If Randy cooked that good, he'd be cooking all the time too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum...food! That all looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yea for Blake! Looks very good!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum! I hear ya on not being able to handle the smell of cooking...thank goodness for good hubbies!

    ReplyDelete