July 10, 2009

Ode to the Machine

Some day down the road of life, the projects I attempt actually take shape (hopefully a correct shape...). My latest and greatest, and time consuming, experiment has been sewing without a machine. Sheesh! How did those women do it back in the day and get anything done??
First off, Blake and I went shopping and bought him some nice work pants. However, they were a bit over 3" too long, so... hemming time! To be honest, I never enjoyed hemming, but watching my mom do it for years, I figured it couldn't be that bad. And, well, it wasn't if you consider it an all day activity. I had 4 hems to do and it took me about 6 hours or so to complete. However, not a stitch you can see from the outside of the pant! Think I can charge $20 an hour Mom? ;) So, Honey, I'm glad they fit and you like them!!
My last completed project was a temple bag. I have a shoulder backpack that I've used, but it wasn't very nice and was big and bulky, so I used some of my remaining fabric from my sister's bridesmaid skirts and made myself a pretty nice bag if I do say so myself. I won't, however, tell you how long this took to sew, but I hope you like it as much as me. :)

I still need to add a ribbon threaded through the loops and make a colorful lining of some sort, but that will have to wait till I find a fabric store and get one of those handy dandy-save you a lifetime-machines.

3 comments:

  1. Looks good to me! But, if you are going to charge $20 per hour, you'd better get an agreement in writing from your customers before beginning...... That's quite a bit for hemming a pair of pants. But consider all the tender, loving care that goes into each item!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The bag looks beautiful Jess, and until you get your own sewing machine, you are welcome to come use mine (well it's actually Mums but you get the gist!) whenever you want. It is hidden down in my laundry under piles of blankets etc, as my sewing skill are non existent. So just give me a bit of notice to clear it off and you're all set.

    ReplyDelete