June 25, 2009

New Spice in our Lives

Before we got married, Blake was on his own to register for us here in Aussie land. I sent him some pictures, gave him some guidelines, but he had to do it himself. When we received one of these items, we were in for a surprise. It was a nice spice rack... that contained the spices!!! Yay for spices!!! However, there are a few I am familiar with, but have never used as I've never owned them before. New to me are the Rosemary and Chili flakes. Not foreign cooking elements, but new flavors to me, so I wanted to share a recipe I made with the chili flakes. For those of you worried about heat, I'm not a big heat person so I scraped the flakes off my piece after cooking and there was just a little flavor zing, so give it a shot. :)
*warning (or side note anyway...): the measurements below are from approximate guesses at what I used. You can add/subtract anything you'd like.

Chili-Lemon Chicken
1 or so cups cubed chicken (enough for 2 people)
1/2 cup olive oil
2 T lemon juice
1 tsp chili flakes
1/2 tsp garlic powder
salt to taste (1/4- 1/2 tsp)
pepper to taste

Mix olive oil, lemon juice, and spices to make marinade. Place chicken in marinade, turn to coat, and refrigerate for approximately 1 hour (mine was a little less, but still had absorbed the flavor). Grill or cook on stove. Great with creamy mashed potatoes, especially if you're worried about any heat.

Let us know if you give it a shot and what you think. :)
btw... made it last night with cubed potatoes, mixed both in the sauce, and put them on a cookie sheet to cook. Amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment